Grahamstown Journal

Grahamstown Journal 1894 03 March

Thursday 1 March 1894

ENTERED INTO REST Feb 19th at Burghersdorp, John T. HAY, dearly beloved son of the late James HAY Esq, Scotland. Aged 27 years.

The above gentleman, who had a severe fall a short time back, is still lying seriously ill, and we regret not being able to report any improvement in his condition.

With regard to the fire at Port Alfred, we learn that late on Saturday night, about 11:30, flames were seen issuing from Mrs. CLARKE’s store, Kowie East, and the alarm was given, but before anyone had arrived the fire was too far advanced to save anything, and all efforts to put it out were futile, and it continued to burn furiously till 4:30 on Sunday morning. There is no clue whatever to the origin of the fire. The buildings and stock are fortunately insured, but heavy loss will be sustained notwithstanding. The adjoining premises were saved, though in great danger, as there was a stiff wind blowing at the time. The buildings and stock are insured for £850 in the Northern Assurance Comp., of which G.C. GOODWIN is the agent.

Saturday 3 March 1894

At Durban a Mrs. [MORROUGH], previously widow of the Rev. J. REYNOLDS, has obtained a separation from her present husband, who was convicted for assault. He appeared in prison garb. The applicant is an old lady, nearly seventy and in her dotage, and her husband is a young man of no account, who first did a little gardening for the old lady, then married her, and drank and treated her badly. She has property and cash valued at £2,000.

On Wednesday week, at a farm of Mr. PEPLER, near Frenchhoek, two fine little boys, aged about seven and nine respectively, the sons of Mr. W. MORLAND, a respectable mason living in the village, lost their lives by drowning. The details of the occurrence are not easy to obtain, the only witness having been a child, younger than either of the unfortunate boys, who accompanied them and who brought the news to his home in the village. It appears that having discharged an errand at the farm, which is situated at the lower end of the village and at some distance from any other habitation, they commenced to play in a somewhat isolated spot at a disused claypit which had been filled by the recent rain. The elder slipped in and called for help, whereupon his brother went to his aid, but on the steep and slippery banks could not only effect nothing, but fell in himself. The third child then tried to aid his friends, but unsuccessfully, and he then ran home to the village, though Mr. PEPLER’s house was not very far distant. Friends immediately hastened to the spot, but too late to do more than recover the bodies.

Tuesday 6 March 1894

DIED at Grahamstown on the 6th March, Donald MACPHERSON, in his 71st year.
The Funeral of the above will leave his late residence, Bathurst St., tomorrow (Wednesday) morning at 8 o’clock. Friends are invited to attend.

We deeply regret to record the death of our old and much respected fellow citizen, Mr. Donald MACPHERSON, who expired this morning at about one o’clock. The late Mr. MACPHERSON was well known and respected not only in Grahamstown, but in other parts of the Colony, and had reached the advanced age of 71, just over the allotted three score years and ten. Mr. MACPHERSON has been for some time anything but strong, having had weakness of the heart’s action. His death resulted from injuries received in a severe fall which we chronicled a short time ago, and he has been lingering on although very much weakened by suffering. Mr. MACPHERSON was a thoroughly good citizen, and was a consistent member of the Wesleyan Church, being a constant worshipper at Commemoration. We can only tender our heartfelt sympathies to the bereaved relatives. The funeral will take place tomorrow morning at 8 o’clock, moving from the residence in Bathurst Street.

Thursday 8 March 1894

In the Estate of the late William WHITEHORN, of Grahamstown.
All Persons claiming to be Creditors in the above-mentioned Estate are requested to file their Claims with the Undersigned within six weeks from this date, and those indebted thereto to pay their Debts within the same period.
Lorimer B. DOLD
Attorney for Executor,
Grahamstown, Feb 16th 1894

DIED on March 7th at Grahamstown, Lucy FEATHERSTONE, widow of the late Robert FEAHERSTONE, in her 90th year.

FELL ASLEEP at Fair View on Sunday 4th March, Bessie Duthie BOWKER, aged 12 years and 27 days, beloved child of Miles and Bessie BOWKER.

We have to record the sad death of Mrs. Lucy FEATHERSTONE, widow of the late Mr. Robert FEATHERSTONE of this city, who died last evening at 8 o’clock, having reached the venerable age of 90 years. Mrs. FEATHERSTONE has been for very many years a resident in Grahamstown, at the home of her daughter in Beaufort Street. During her illness, which resulted from a severe fall, in which she had the misfortune to fracture her thigh, she had much suffering, and was tenderly cared for by her daughter and other relatives. The funeral will take place this afternoon at 4 o’clock. We tender our sincere sympathies to the sorrowing relatives.
[Transcriber’s Note: Deceased was the 1820 settler Lucy Moles FINAUGHTY]

Saturday 10 March 1894

MARRIED at Uitenhage on the 6th March 1894 by the Rev. Jacks, Edward Alfred VAN NIEKERK, of Humansdorp, to Alice Elizabeth ANDERSON of Grahamstown.

DIED at Assegai River, March [5th] 1894, Winifred May [STAKEY], aged 20 years.

Tuesday 13 March 1894

At Richmond, on the 7th March, Mr. A.G. GILL, Assistant Magistrate, died from a complication of diseases. He leaves a widow and one child.

A terrible accident happened at Pretoria last week by which a child of about 7 years lost its life. The youngsters were on a wagon, and on trekking past the Circus tent the little one fell and got its head under the hind wheel. Life was extinct almost at once. The child was a son of Mr. and Mrs. FARMER of that town.

The Press reports that a transport rider named Mr. LE ROUX, resident of Zuutpansburg, proceeded to the Rand a few days ago and loaded a wagon-load of general goods for Bulawayo. He was accompanied by his family. On the road from the Rand he slipped from the wagon, which passed over his right leg and inflicted a terrible injury to the limb, from which Mr. LE ROUX never recovered, but died from the wound.

Thursday 15 March 1894

The Uitenhage Times regrets to hear that a serious burning accident happened to a Mrs. NORRIS, wife of Mr. C.E. NORRIS, Railway Inspector, formerly of Uitenhage and now residing at East London. From what we could learn it would appear that one of Mrs. NORRIS’s children went into a bedroom with a lighted candle, which unfortunately set fire to some clothes hanging against the wall. In an instant the whole room was enveloped in flames, and the cries of the child caused Mrs. NORRIS to rush into the room to see what was the matter. Finding that a lot of her valuable clothes were burning, Mrs. NORRIS endeavoured to extinguish the flames with her hands, and in doing so burnt her hands and wrists so severely that she is now lying in a critical condition.

Saturday 17 March 1894

Mrs. J. WEAKLEY passed away on Tuesday last after a lingering illness borne with Christian resignation and patience. Mr. and Mrs. WEAKLEY came to Queenstown (says the Representative) amongst the first arrivals in 1854, and with others helped to build up and make Queenstown known and respected in the early days of its existence. Mrs. WEAKLEY was one of the oldest members of the Wesleyan Church, and was always ready to lead, assist and direct any organisation for its good. Her home was always open to the young people of the town, where they were made welcome to spend an evening in social intercourse.
[Transcriber’s note: Deceased was Catherine Ann PALMER, wife of John WEAKLEY]

We are very much pleased indeed to see our old and esteemed fellow-citizen, Mr. C.R. GOWIE, up and about again after a successful operation for cataract.

Tuesday 20 March 1894

BIRTH at Grahamstown on Thursday 15th inst, the wife of Mr. L. WICKSTEAD of a daughter.

The lady whom Sir Sidney SHIPPARD is to marry is said to be Miss SANFORD, a sister of Lady METHUEN. Sir Sidney has long been a widower. His first wife was Miss STOCKENSTROM.

Thursday 22 March 1894

BIRTH at Thorn Park on Friday 16th inst, the wife of W.G. WEBB of a daughter.

PASSED AWAY at Thorn Park on Tuesday 20th inst, Ethel, infant daughter of W.G. and Ethel WEBB.

Tuesday 27 March 1894

BIRTH at Grahamstown on Saturday 24th March, the wife of F.A. HUTTON of a son.

MARRIED at St.Paul’s Church, Port Alfred, on the 26th March 1894 by the Rev. F.W. Flack MA, George PATERSON M.B., of Philipstown, to Carrie Shepperson, fifth daughter of W. CANNELL Esq.

MARRIED at Commemoration Church, Grahamstown on the 27th March, by the Rev. H. Cotton, W.D.S. LLOYD, of Alice District, to Lizzie, third daughter of the late Thos. ELLIOTT Esq, of Peddie District.

MARRIED at Commemoration Church, Grahamstown on the 27th March, by the Rev. H. Cotton, Owen P. STIRK, youngest son of W.H.STIRK Esq, of Peddie District, to Nellie, eldest daughter of John RICHARDSON Esq, of Grahamstown.

FELL ASLEEP at Grahamstown on 27th March 1894, Sarah Ellen, younger daughter of Mr. Stephen MUNDY. Aged 46 years.
The Funeral of the above will leave St.Bartholomew’s Church at 7:30 tomorrow (Wednesday) morning. Friends are respectfully invited to attend.

Yesterday at Port Alfred a sad fatality occurred whereby Mr. Robert Percy PUTTICK, bookkeeper at the Bon Marché, lost his life. The unfortunate young man, who is but lately out from London, was spending Easter Monday at the Kowie, and yesterday afternoon in company with Mr. H. WEARE, also of Boyes & Co.’s establishment, was seen to swim in the Lagoon at about 1:30 pm. It appears that Mr. PUTTICK was a very indifferent swimmer, if indeed he could swim at all. His companion was swimming in deep water, and on looking round found that Mr. PUTTICK had disappeared. He immediately swam to the spot where he had seen him last, and dived, trying to save him from drowning, as he had got out of his depth. The drowning man clutched at Mr. WEARE’s shoulder, and a struggle ensued in the water which so exhausted Mr. WEARE that he was obliged to leave his friend and endeavour to save his own life. While he was struggling in the water, PUTTICK having sunk, Mr. John HAYTON of Lower Albany plunged in and dragged him out. When he was lifted from the water he had lost consciousness and was with difficulty brought back to life by the united and untiring efforts of Drs. ATHERSTONE and NEWNHAM of Port Alfred. While WEARE was being saved, Dr. ATHERSTONE dived and recovered the body of PUTTICK, who was quite dead, and although the usual means for restoring in the case of death by drowning were tried for three quarters of an hour, still they proved fruitless. The body was brought up to town by last night’s train and will be buried at 5pm today, from Mrs. FLETCHER’s house in Francis St. Deceased was not much known in town owing to his short stay, but was highly esteemed by the friends he had made. Such a sad accident should prove a warning to bathers at the Lagoon, especially as this is not the first case.

Thursday 29 March 1894

MARRIED at St.Patrick’s Cathedral on March 26th 1894 by the Rev. Father Fitzhenry, James Gilbert BROOKS to Mary Frances CONNOR, third daughter of the late Bryan CONNOR, both of this city.

On Tuesday 27th last at the Baptist Church, Grahamstown, by the Rev. W.F. Evans, Wesleyan Minister, Charles, eldest son of Mr. Thos. BUNYARD, of Port Elizabeth, to Lisa, second daughter of Mr. Richard J. KING of this city.

It is our painful duty to record the decease of Miss S.E. MUNDY, younger daughter of Mr. Stephen MUNDY, which took place on Monday last after a long and painful illness. The deceased lady was universally esteemed and was an estimable Christian, having been for many years a devout and zealous member of the congregation of St.Bartholomew’s Church. The funeral took place yesterday. The first part of the service was read by the Rev. C.H.L. PACKMAN MA in St.Bartholomew’s Church, and the remainder of the solemn service was read by the same gentleman at the vault of the cemetery, where rest the remains of some of the relatives of the deceased. Mr. S. MUNDY jun. was the principal mourner, and there was a large attendance of personal friends of the deceased lady. Many lovely wreaths were placed upon the coffin in token of the affection of the mourners for her who has passed away. We tender our sincerest condolences to the deceased family

Print Email

1880 to 1899